Bugs tracking tools can help record, report, assign and track the bugs in a software development project. There are many bugs tracking tools available. Better is the bug tracking tool, better the quality of the product. In this article, we will discuss about the importance, benefits and top 20 excellent softwares you should know.
The importance of using bugs tracking tools?
If developers don’t use bugs tracking tools, they may use spreadsheets to report, track and transport their bugs. Although it might be a good temporary solution for small-sized teams and projects, this is not a sustainable method. Spreadsheets or Excel sheets pose a ton of challenges when you use them as your primary method of defect tracking and management. Few of them listed below:
Too many bulky emails
Excel sheets with screenshot attachments are sometimes over a few MB. You may often have these spreadsheet attached emails sitting in your outbox waiting to be sent or receiving a mailbox full alert as soon as you got one.
Lack of real-time visibility into bug discovery and progress or status
We don’t hear of an issue as soon as it is found. We also don’t know if an issue has been retested or returned, etc. in real-time.
Since there is no automatic alerting system, defects do not call for any attention to them unless someone is deliberately looking.
Work Assignment issues
We don’t know who has what issue and what they are doing. To clarify, if it has been picked up for resolution, what priority is set, etc. is never as easily visible as you would like it to be.
You might have to call or email or send an IM to find out what is happening.
Lack of a Central Repository
Too many folders, release-wise, module-wise or something-else-wise.
To clarify, if you want to get back to a defect that was reported in the previous release or maybe a few releases behind, which was commented on by the developer in a certain way- you are simply playing a guessing game as to where the defect might be.
Even if you did find it, you might not have all the comments on it, all the history of it, etc.
Manual gathering and consolidation of Defect Statistics
Imagine collecting raw defect data from each team member, entering into an excel template, organizing it to show a pattern or trend, and finally plotting a chart or graph. This process is both time and labor-intensive. And it is also rigid.
Moreover, if your team wants to view a new kind of report, you are looking at the additional effort and creating new templates, etc. So you have limited your choices of what defect trends you can and will see.
Teams will no longer be inclined to invest time in monitoring and measuring. This means both a lack of visibility and confidence about the quality of the product. Some problems could be solved by the use of a shared document on a remote/network drive, but not all. So, most test teams use bugs tracking tools to handle this process effectively.
So, what are the benefits of using bugs tracking tools?
1. Understand Defect Trends
In case you are new to testing an application. When you are in the process of understanding the system, check out your bugs tracking tools for the kind of bugs previously reported.
2. Understand Defect Reporting standards
Now, every company, every project, every team, and every individual are different. So, even though a few common guidelines on how to write defect reports exist, nothing prepares you as your own in-house research does.
3. Prevent duplicates and invalid suggestions
Once you know your application, your team’s work style, your development team, then you become automatically a better tester. So that, this way you will know what is already reported or what has already been suggested and rejected.
You can now both focus on uncovering new bugs and exploring the application deeper. Moreover, you can tailor your reports in a way that you get through to your development team better.
Top 20 exellent bugs tracking tools
Monday is one of bugs tracking tools that that enables you to analyze your performance and manage your team in one place. To clarify, it provides flexible dashboard for easy visualization of data.
- Firstly, you can collaborate with other people.
- Secondly, it can automate your daily work.
- Thirdly, it can ntegration with Mailchimp, Google calendar, Gmail, and more.
- You can also track your work progress.
- It also enables you to work remotely.
In the bugs tracking tools list, BugZilla is another one you should consider. This is one of the popular bugs tracking tools. To clarify, these tool is an open source software and provides some great features like
- Firstly, E-mail notification for change in code
- Secondly, reports and Charts
- Thirdly, Ppatch Viewers
- Then, List of bugs can be generated in different formats
- Schedule daily, monthly and weekly reports
- Moreover, this bug tracking tool detect duplicate bug automatically
- Setting bug priorities by involving customers
- Predict the time a bug may get fixed
3. JIRA – Easy to use one in bugs tracking tools list
Thousands of software professionals use JIRA as bugs tracking tools because of its easy to use framework. JIRA is a commercial product. Moreover, it helps to capture and organize the team issues, prioritizing the issue and updating them with the project.
- Directly integrates with the code development environments making it a perfect fit for developers
- Supports agile projects
- It comes with many add-ons that make this tool more powerful than other tools
Backlog is a popular bug and project tracking tool in one platform. It’s easy for anyone to report bugs and keep track of a full history of issue updates and status changes. Development teams use Backlog to work with other teams for enhanced team collaboration and high-quality project delivery.
- Easy bug tracking tool
- Search and advanced search features
- Full history of issue updates and status changes
- Project and issues with subtasks
- Git and SVN built-in
- Gantt Charts and Burndown charts
- Wikis and Watchlists
- Native mobile apps
- Kanban-style boards for visual workflow
Among the sea of bugs tracking tools, SpiraTeam provides a complete Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) solution that manages the requirements, tests, plans, tasks, bugs and issues in one environment, with complete traceability. SpiraTeam’s completely integrated bug tracking solution lets you manage your entire testing process with features like:
- Automatic creation of new incidents during the test script execution.
- Fully customizable incident fields including statuses, priorities, defect types and severities.
- Ability to link incidents (bugs) to other artifacts and incidents.
- Robust reporting, searching and sorting, plus an Audit log tracking changes.
- Email notifications triggered by the customized workflow status changes.
- Ability to report issues and bugs via email.
6. HP ALM/ Quality Center
Above all, HP ALM is a complete test management solution with a robust integrated bug tracking System within it. Moreover, HP ALM’s bug tracking mechanism is easy and efficient. It supports Agile projects too. Unlike other bugs tracking tools, it is an expensive tool and may not be very friendly with all the web browsers.
7. eTraxis – an open souce one in bugs tracking tools list
eTraxis is an open source bugs tracking tools supporting multiple languages. This tool is developed in a PHP language and supports multiple-database like Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MS Server. For managing project, eTraxis gives you a flexible platform involving multiple organizations by providing a central place for all project activity. It allows to create multiple users and projects and at the same time view the bugs assigned.
- Files exchange and supports attachment
- E-mail notification
- Flexible permission
- Powerful filtering on issues
- Custom workflow
- View complete history of all events
It is both an open source bug tracker and issue tracking system that is written using Asp.Net platform and requires MySQL as a database. Moreover, it has got everything that is required for creating projects, issues and managing them efficiently. It is also free but the pro-version is licensed and commercial.
- Email notification
- Issue management
- This bug tracker system supports both multiple projects and databases
- Excellent Security
- Online support community
- Project and milestone management
- Easy navigation and administration
- Online support community
9. FogBugz – a web based one in bugs tracking tools list
FogBugz is one of web based bugs tracking tools/system that refers to defects as ‘cases’. It prioritize and organize development task in one central place. It includes a powerful search engine that enables you to instantly search the complete content of cases, wiki articles, and customer correspondence. Fogbugz supports almost all ios, Android, Blackberry, tablets, and ipads. It is a commercial product but reasonably priced.
- Issue tracking
- Quick and easy case creation
- Support help desk
- Automated error reporting with Bugzscout
- Automatic upgrades and backups
- Integration with other tools
- Project management
- Time tracking
- Integrated wiki
10. The Bug Genie
The next tool in the list of bugs tracking tools is The Bug Genie. Recording the issue in the Bug Genie is simple and fast. Also, you can add any number of the custom field to your issues. It exports all searches and project timeline as RSS feeds. In issue views and search lists, issue related actions are available with a single click. While the integrated quick search enables you to quickly view your issue, it also allows to search through wiki articles, users, teams and more.
Above all, Lighthouse is the perfect ticket tracking solution when you are seeking the bugs tracking tools. It is simple, organized and compatible with your mobile devices. To manage the bug, lighthouse has many excellent features like:
- Give you all the amenities: custom states, effective tagging system, advanced search, saved searches and a mass editing tool.
- It also integrates with dozens of useful services that integrates with Lighthouse like Airbrake, Github, Exceptional, Beanstalk, etc.
- With few clicks, you can start managing tickets with commit messages or convert the application exception into lighthouse issues
If you have used other bugs tracking tools, this tool can be easy to use. Mantis not only comes as a web application but also has its own mobile version. Moreover, it works with multiple databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL and integrated with applications like chat, time tracking, wiki, RSS feeds and many more.
Mantis main features include:
- Firstly, this is a Open source tool
- Secondly, this defect tracking tool provides E-mail notification
- Thirdly, supported reporting with reports and graphs
- Then, source control integration
- Supports both custom fields and time tracking management
- Multiple projects per instance
- Enable to watch the issue change history and roadmap
- Supports unlimited number of users, issues, and projects
13. RedMine – Intergarting with SCM one in bugs tracking tools list
It is an open source bug tracking tool that integrates with SCM (Source Code Management System) too. It supports multiple platforms and multiple data-bases while for reporting purpose, Gantt charts and calendar are used. Moreover, Redmine is a project management web application developed using Ruby on Rail framework.
Some of the RedMine features include:
- Both gantt chart and calendar
- News, document and files management
- Moreover, this bug reporting tool provides SCM integration
- Issue creation via e-mail
- Then, this bug tracking software supports multiple database.
- Both flexible issue tracking system and role based access control
- Multilanguage support
Trac is a web based open source issue tracking system that developed in Python. To clarify, it is the superior version of wiki and used as the issue tracking tool for software development projects. You can use it to browse through the code, view history, view changes, etc. when you integrate Trac with SCM. It also supports multiple platforms like Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, Windows, etc. A time-line shows all current and past project event in order while the roadmap highlights the upcoming milestones.
15. Axosoft – For Scrum teams in bugs tracking tools list
To continue the list of bugs tracking tools, we want to suggest Axosoft. it is a bug tracking system, available for hosted or on-premises software. Moreover, it is a project management tool for Scrum teams. To clarify, project managers and developers can view each task, its requirement, defects and incidents, in the system, on individual filing cards, through the Scrum planning board. With Axosoft, you can also manage your user stories, defects, support tickets and a real-time snapshot of your progress.
- Firstly, It is one of the Best Bug management tool
- Secondly, scrum planning board
- Thirdly, scrum burn down charts
- Then, requirement Management
- Team wiki
- Data visualization
- SCM integration
- Help desk or incident tracking
16. Team Foundation Server
Team foundation server enables all stakeholders to participate in the development process using a single solution. But it is also used as a bug tracking tool. For bug tracking TFS gives notifications to team members as well as keeps the record of whom the bug was assigned to.
- Version control
- Agile planning and collaboration
- Test case management
- Bug tracking and notification
17. IBM Rational ClearQuest
IBM ClearQuest tracks, captures and also manages any type of bugs. Like any other bugs tracking tools, IBM rationalquest also gives you all the advantage of bug tracking system. It also support multiplatform, like HP-UX, Linux, Microsoft Windows operating system. Moreover, it can improve visibility and control of software development projects.
- Integrating with other tools
- Supports real time reporting and metrics
- Increasing team collaboration
Most important, with unfuddle developers can commit source code. It also can integrate with most critical tools for any software project. Moreover, Unfuddle gives better security to your data as amazon provides their servers. It also helps to track bugs, feature request and manage the tickets.
- Firstly, bug and issue management
- Secondly, web-based subversion access
- Milestone tracking
DevTrack is not specially designed as a regular bug tracker tool. It has a wide range of function but can be considered for defect tracker.
- Firstly, automatically route issues to appropriate users
- Secondly, mail notifications
- Help team members to track and resolve issues
- Both create and assign sub issues
- Import and authenticate users from Active directory
20. Salesforce – other web-based one in bugs tracking tools list
It is one of web-based bugs tracking tools and project management system. The platform supports tasks planning, creates stories to track tasks, as well as various reports and statistics. The other features of this tool include, for example
- Clone defects
- Defect Sharing
- Burn work hours
This best bugs tracking tools list is still updated
The choices for Bugs Tracking tools are many. For instance, if using a Test management tool you are going to have access to defect tracking as well. In addition, some companies create in-house bug tracking tools. They are also similar to the commercial ones available. So, they do the job just fine.
Finally, if all your team needs is a tool for defect tracking and if the entire testing is still maintained manually, your best option is to go with an open-source defect management/bug tracking system.
Any help with bugs tracking tools? Let’s ArrowHiTech help you!
If you’re considering IT development services, you can explore more about us – ArrowHiTech. Above all, we are proud to be one of the most well-established outsourcing companies all around the world. In addition, with over 12 years of experience, we can provide the world class services for your business. Contact now!