Live streaming is one of the latest trends in modern life when people just need a mobile phone that connects with the internet to do that. It aids users to approach more and more people all over the world, especially, it is the perfect choice for store owners to widen their customer base. In this blog, ArrowHiTech will deliver you the useful guide to create a live streaming app successfully on Android and iOS. Hence, let’s explore with us right now!
What is a live streaming app?
When it comes to the term “mobile live streaming”, you can understand the following two meanings. While the first meaning is that it applies to streaming video from a mobile device, the second one is using a mobile device to access internet video content. In this topic, we will deliver you the information on using your iPhone or Android to access and stream content.
Such a prime example, many broadcasters including Netflix and Hulu, employ mobile streaming apps to house their streaming services.
What’s more, both broadcasters and content creators can build the exact type of user experience as they desire with the help of a personalized mobile app. Besides, depending on each modern mobile live streaming app, the look as well as functionality is different. For more details, while some apps are extremely straightforward systems, others offer a vast collection of on-demand and live streaming material.
Best of all, creating a live streaming app is the ideal method for broadcasters to monetize their video content.
The importance of Mobile Streaming
Now, we will take a look at some mobile streaming data so you can see how significant mobile live streaming is. In fact, these figures show that the growing tendency toward mobile viewing isn’t going away anytime soon.
- In late 2017, mobile devices accounted for more than 58 percent of all video views worldwide. Amazingly, by mid-2018, the figure had risen to 60%, and it is still rising years later.
- It is predicted that by 2023, video will account for three-quarters of all mobile traffic. Moreover, mobile video is pushing the boundaries of data and assisting in the advancement of new technologies such as 5G.
- In addition, about 30% of sports fans tend to watch videos and games on their mobile phones and tablets. In particular, this number never stops. Alternatively, while watching sports, searching up information, or conversing with pals, 80% of them employ a “multi-screen” strategy.
What are technology components that make a live streaming app possible?
Video live streaming platforms are created thanks to technological advancements,
especially following modern technologies.
#1. Media storage
With the help of cloud providers such as: Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, live streaming apps can store media assets in a scalable and dependable manner.
#2. Content delivery network (CDN)
Simply speaking, CDN is a network of distributed servers that makes delivering content to a large audience easier.
#3. UI/UX design
Users may now use live streaming apps with ease because of advancements in UI/UX design. As a result, it will bring them the best experience as well as highest satisfaction.
#4. Advanced video players
In terms of advanced video players of live streaming apps, they adapt to the user’s platform and browser to provide the best possible experience.
#5. Authentication and encryption technologies
Logging into the live streaming app with a Google or Facebook account makes it easier for users to experience live streaming. Best of all, video assets are kept safe from hackers thanks to data encryption.
Step-to-step to build a live streaming app
In general, the process of creating a live streaming app successfully has not too many difficulties, but it does necessitate some technical knowledge. Following that, you should hire an app developer if you don’t already have one on your team because developing a mobile app is not a “do-it-yourself” project.
Step 1. Select an online video host
To begin, you will need to invest in internet video hosting in order to create a live streaming app. This platform will host all of your video material, and you’ll simply integrate its video players in your app.
In fact, the platform you choose will be determined by your specific streaming requirements. Moreover, elements such as: APIs, SDKs, and an HTML5 video player are non-negotiable aspects when developing an effective live streaming app. In addition, depending on your streaming goals, you are able to take a look at additional feature possibilities. Not only that, you can also monetize support from your video content.
Furthermore, you should also keep an eye on your budget. Then, examine various pricing options to see what you can afford. When you plan your budget, you need to keep in mind your anticipated return on investment (also known as ROI).
Step 2. Download SDK for Android or iOS
As soon as you make a decision to use an online video hosting platform, you will need to get the live streaming SDK that your platform offers. After that, you need to decide whether you’re making an app for iOS or Android. In particular, you can make both as you want, but you should concentrate on one at a time. Following that, you should start with the one that corresponds to the operating system that your target audience uses the most.
Step 3. Load SDK to Mobile development software
This stage requires you to access a mobile development environment including Android Studio and Xcode. Then, you should pick an app that caters to your specific development and streaming requirements. After you choose the suitable app, don’t forget to upload your SDK to mobile development software.
Step 4. Start to create a live streaming app
After that, you should build a mobile app by using the combination of the offered API code and live streaming SDK tools. You will now modify your app to best represent your business and provide the finest viewing experience possible. Hence, you need to ask a seasoned developer for help. Because a tiny error can have a big impact on your app’s functionality, so getting help from someone who knows what they’re doing is crucial.
Step 5. Package and submit your live streaming app
Once you finish the app as you desire, the final step you need to implement is packaging and submitting this app to Apple App Store or Google Play Store for approval. Best of all, you can also use internal distribution systems to allow users to download the app directly from your website.
5 methods to create a live streaming app on Android and iOS
#1. Develop a live streaming app by Contus Vplay
The first method we highly recommend for you to build a live streaming app is taking advantage of Contus Vplay. Simply speaking, this awesome platform is the ideal choice for you to easily create a Periscope clone. Thanks to it, you don’t have to hire an expert development team because it’s a ready-made solution.
- Firstly, this is the best method for live event streaming
- Secondly, pay-per-view, banner advertisements, subscriptions, and other methods can all be used to monetize live streaming.
- Thirdly, Contus Vplay is fully compatible with every type of modern device.
- Besides, this technology allows for content distribution that is both scalable and safe.
- Moreover, its adjustable Bitrate live streaming provides a positive experience for users.
- In addition, it also includes strong data encryption as well as better security.
- Alternatively, this tool provides a comprehensive analytics package to assist you in expanding your business.
- Best of all, your users can save videos on their computers and watch them later.
In particular, Contus Vplay has the advantage of having already catered to a variety of industries and use cases. For instance, media, music, education, sports, corporate, government, worship, and so much more. Not only that, this technology works well on Android, iOS, and the web.
#2. Way to create a live streaming app by Appy Pie
The second method you can adapt to develop a high-quality live streaming app for a variety of mobile devices quickly is Appy Pie. In reality, this tool has a constructor for live TV and video streaming apps. Hence, you can quickly get your app up and running with this drag-and-drop app builder.
- First of all, it contains the ability to share videos.
- Secondly, it supports a lot of social media networks such as: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc
- Besides, its live video streaming is simple to integrate.
- Push notifications will be sent to your users on a frequent basis.
- Additionally, live video feeds can be played or paused by your users.
- It has a variety of chat rooms for users
- Integration of a photo gallery with Instagram, Flickr, and other social media platforms.
- Not only that, multiple video formats as well as all major streaming protocols will be supported by your app.
- Finally, it also comes with a sophisticated analytics package that can help you develop your business well.
Furthermore, by using this technology, you don’t need to ask an experienced development team for help. Following that, you only need to set up the app builder and add your logo. In particular, no technical skills are required which will facilitate you to benefit from it easily. Plus, in case you don’t have an in-house development team or don’t have the time to hire one, this could be a great benefit.
Best of all, you don’t even need to look for separate MBaaS or “Infrastructure as a Service”’ providers because Appy Pie also offers cloud hosting. Thus, it works well with all major mobile systems, including Android and iOS.
In terms of advanced add-ons, depending on which pricing plan you choose, it will decide push notifications, bandwidth, and other features. Besides, important support functions, such as app submission, are included in their premium plan.
#3. How to create a live streaming app with Google Cloud and Anvato?
In case you are seeking an alternative to create a live streaming app, you should take a look at Google Cloud and Anvato. Thanks to these tools, you will have opportunities to approach a huge number of platforms such as: smart TVs, Android and iOS mobile. Besides, when using Google Cloud and Anvato, you are able to utilize reliable platforms of Google including Google Compute Engine, Cloud Storage và Cloud CDN.
- First and foremost, it has encryption and high security
- Secondly, broadcasting integration is excellent.
- Thirdly, you are able to use ad features to help monetize your app.
- Additionally, it supports fully compliance closed caption
- Furthermore, you are able to develop your business by utilizing their strong analytics suite.
#4. Develop a live streaming app by Wowza Live-Streaming SDK
If you can’t access a highly-skilled and professional development team. Wowza Live-Streaming SDK is one of the best choices for you to create an effective live streaming app.
- First of all, this is a complete collection of tools for creating mobile live streaming apps successfully, with all of the necessary functionality.
- Secondly, it is quite simple to integrate “Wowza Streaming Engine” and “Wowza Streaming Cloud”.
- Thirdly, this tool is fully compatible with two popular platforms: Android and iOS.
- What’s more, high-quality data protection and security solutions are included in the SDK.
- Additionally, it allows you to consume a large number of cross-platform APIs.
- In particular, with this SDK, controlling the encoder settings is a breeze.
- For Android and iOS app development, the company provides high-quality reference documents.
#5. Way to create a live streaming app by Brightcove
The last method we want to suggest to you in order to build live streaming apps effectively is using Brightcove. Being a well-known live streaming service with a diverse portfolio, Brightcove appeals to publishers and broadcasters, advertisers, and businesses. In particular, you may use their SDKs to bring your best live video streaming ideas to reality.
- Firstly, it comes with an HTML5 video player with a lot of power.
- Secondly, it includes the ability to create an interactive user interface for your users.
- Besides, this flawless technology offers cloud hosting for your live streaming app
- Moreover, you have the option of using their platform as is or creating your own custom solution.
- Alternatively, it works well on major platforms, typically Android and iOS.
- In addition, Marketing automation platforms (MAPs), content management systems (CMSs), and ad serving providers are all simple to connect.
- Furthermore, Brightcove offers a comprehensive analytics package.
- Best of all, it covers several excellent social integrations.
Not only that, Brightcove also contains an extensive array of SDKs and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that are suitable with multiple platforms. They are:
- Android SDK
- iOS SDK
- tvOS SDK
- RESTful APIs for Video Cloud, Zencoder and so much more.
To sum up, the process of creating an effective live streaming app on Android and iOS is quite straightforward, just need to follow some simple steps we instruct above, you will surely build a successful app as you want. Above all, ArrowHiTech hopes this article will bring you a lot of useful information for you to achieve the biggest goal. Moreover, in case you are facing any problem in Mobile application development, don’t hesitate to CONTACT US for more details.