When faced with the choice between .Net vs Java, you must know the background of each, and how it will benefit your business. In this article, we have compared both .Net vs Java and highlighting their strong and weak points. So, keep reading to discover more.
.Net vs Java: Core Differences
- Working Environment: Java Enterprise Edition and the web applications developed in it can run on any platform. However, the application developed using .NET can only work on the Windows environment.
- Target users: Though .NET is targeted at Windows users only, a few open-source implementations are available. On the other hand, Java takes advantage of Java Virtual Machine (JVM). JVM, as we know, runs on the concept that code can run on any device and under any operating system.
- Default Language: The J2EE or Java 2 Platform Enterprise Edition sets Java as the default language. On the other hand, .NET is compatible with other languages, and you can choose from C#, F#, VB.NET and C++. This is seen as a more flexible approach for the development of business apps, although the coding skills required are more varied.
- IDE: .NET applications have their default IDE called as a visual studio. Meanwhile, Java has four IDEs called Eclipse, IntelliJ Idea, Oracle NetBeans, and Oracle JDeveloper.
.Net vs Java Comparison
The Advantages of .Net vs Java
- Firstly, since Java is portable, you can easily choose on which machine and the operating system you want to build your app or website. All you need is an integrated digital environment (IDE).
- Secondly, since Java calls the database-less often, the object-relational support is better.
- Thirdly, it’s easy to seamlessly integrate Java apps with other platforms by using advanced integration tools like Jenkins and Travis CI.
- Next, since Java provides backward compatibility, it’s easy to migrate between Java platforms.
- Various free integrating connectors are available for Java.
- The Java community is continuously evolving and growing strong. So, you can expect a lot of support and guidance.
- Microsoft offers a unified environment on the .NET platform.
- The platform offers seamless horizontal scalability where you can easily find tools in the Microsoft Developer Network.
The disadvantages of .Net vs Java
- Because Java is platform-agnostic, chances of security breaches are quite high and can be a major concern.
- Scala functions do work well with Groovy. To clarify, this means you will need people with advanced software development skills if you want a project in Java.
- Because of its multi-platform nature, Java can be slower than other languages.
- Since support is only available for the Entity Framework, there is limited object-relational support for .NET
- Managed code in .NET runs slower than the native code.
- Developers are dependent only on Microsoft for new features and enhancements.
- Migration to .NET is more expensive as compared to other frameworks.
Performance, compatibility and other factors of .Net vs Java
Firstly, below factors provide play a major role in a performance of .NET:
- .Net is compiled and run on the operating system where the code is deployed.
- LINQ enables a user to write queries directly instead of using stored procedures.
- C# enables you to use a switch statement on a string variable.
- C# supports native generic data support
Secondly, in a performance of Java:
- Java is an interpreted language and hence the code is not converted to machine language until executed.
- LINQ is not available with Java
- Java 7 has the facility of using a switch statement on string variable but not the older frameworks
.NET vs Java: Which One You Should Choose?
Choosing between .Net vs Java is not easy. Even if you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both languages .Net vs Java, there are still chances that you might end up overlooking a thing or two.
That’s why it’s important to keep some simple and crucial factors in mind, which are as follows:
Having enough resources
Most companies have large in-house teams. However, there are also a few that rely on outsourcing for software development. Now, unless you have a team you can trust, outsourcing your software development is not a wise idea.
So, you will have to see if you have enough .NET developers or Java developers in the company from where you are outsourcing your team, and then choose whether you want to develop the app in Java or .NET.
Can your infrastructure support a complex app or website?
If yes, go for .NET development. Creating complex enterprise applications is easy in .NET since you can pick the best from every language.
Otherwise, it will be better if you go for the more flexible approach that Java-based solutions offer.
Do you have enough time and budget?
Yes, budget is an important concern here. You have to keep it in mind.
Now, if you rely mostly on Windows-based software to run your business and you are a loyal Microsoft user, it would be better if you stick to .NET as the .NET-powered solution will result in minimum expenditure.
Creating an enterprise application in Java, on the other hand, will be costly. In case you want to reduce costs, you will have to carefully access the supporting software and choose the right mix of Java tools.
Do you need an app open-source compatibility?
If yes, Java is your language of choice. In fact this is the reason why most companies are still looking forward to implementing Java even in advanced fields like artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Note: Microsoft is looking forward to closing this open-source compatibility gap in its .NET framework by integrating open-source tools and platforms. But this is still time for that. So, it would be better if you opt for Java.
Final Thoughts with .Net vs Java
When it comes to .NET vs Java, there is no right or wrong choice. Both of .Net vs Java have their positive and negative aspects. Either of the two can help you create feature-rich and dynamic enterprise apps.
Choosing between .Net vs Java depends upon the requirements of your website, available development resources, and the end-users.
Need to find a .Net vs Java development partner? Let’s ArrowHiTech help you!
If you’re considering more about finding a suitable .Net vs Java development outsourcing company, you can take a look at ArrowHiTech Website to explore more about them. Furthermore, with over 12 years of experience, we are able to provide the leading Java Framework Development Services and Outstanding .Net Framework Development Services for your eCommerce business at several levels. Thus, let’s take a look at our offered custom development services below:
- Ecommerce Development
- Web Application Development
- CMS Website Development
- Mobile Application Development
- Software Consulting & Development
- Graphic & Creative Design
- Testers & Developers For Hire
Leave your contact at CONTACT FORM if you need the assistances with your business !