Social networking apps have made up a large part of our lives and the app market. With the rise of smartphone usage around the world, opportunities have emerged for social networks with more advanced features. As a result, many entrepreneurs cannot miss the opportunity to be part of a thriving market and push up building new social media platforms. In this article, we will show how to create social media app that entices massive users
Current social media trends
Today, social media constantly has new trends. So that it’s important to follow trends to keep your social media app up to date and viable.
Here are the current social media trends to look out for if you want to create a social media app:
Augmented reality and face filters
Tiktok and Instagram are the trendsetters from now. Users still enjoy funny face filters. These seem to be nonsense but this is an effective way to identify your image or product.
Artificial intelligence and chatbot
This is also not the new social media trend. Having gained popularity in 2017, they are still responding so far and there is a lot to exploit, especially with artificial intelligence.
Live stream/ Streaming
The most popular social networking apps already have this feature. Users prefer to watch live video rather than reading social media posts. The most common are direct video sales.
Focus on video contents
Video content is more popular than written articles because users prefer to watch rather than read. This is explained by their lack of time and the fact that visual information is easier to spot.
Add daily stories
This is the type of content that lasts up to 24 hours and then disappears from your feed. Once again, Facebook and Instagram are the leaders here. Stories have increased the time people spend on these social media app every day.
Once you’ve decided on your niche and figured out the trends to follow to create a social media app, it’s time to get started with app features, design, and development.
Basic Social Media App Development
Building a social network is no simple task. Your app idea has to go through all stages of app development to become a market-ready product. Let’s go into the details of each of them step by step.
Best Practices of Social Network Design
To clarify, if you have analyzed the market well and have all necessary materials to build your own social network, the first step you taken with your development team is UX/UI design.
In addition, if you want to know how to create a social media app that will look and feel nice and appealing, you should learn some basic requirements to your future product in terms of design.
Nowadays, all social media apps should stick to the following simple rules:
- Firstly, use the shades of blue as this color is not considered annoying.
- Secondly, use the same navigation bar with search functions, notifications, and profile icon throughout the app on every screen where they are required.
- Thirdly, the design of the entire application should be adapted to a specific platform for users to feel comfortable using the app on their device.
- Moreover, smooth switch from a web app design to a mobile app design to make user experience similar on any device
- Then, round profile pictures help to focus on a user’s face and make it simpler to remember them or distinguish them from the list of others
- In addition, possibility of self-expression in design (custom opportunities like changing a profile picture, cover image, or even profile colors)
- Simple search of users and relevant content
- Finally, quick sign in or app entry without signing up on the first stages to give an opportunity for users to find out more about your product
All in all, the quality of your social network design will greatly depend on your designer. Nevertheless, the above mentioned best practices will help you find the acceptable balance between what you want your design to be and what it should be.
If you’re considering web/mobile development services to build social media app, you can explore more about us – ArrowHiTech. Above all, we are proud to be one of the most well-established outsourcing companies all around the world. In addition, with over 12 years of experience, we can provide the best software development services for your eCommerce business.
Basic Features All Best Social Media Apps Should Have
In spite of the fact that all cases differ and every social media app should have at least one unique feature to stand out from its competitors, there is a basic set of functions any social app cannot do without.
For instance, the suggested feature set, necessary to create a social media app in its basic version is as follows:
- Social authorization
- Post creation
- Post likes
- Social notifications
- User profile
- Push notification module
- Content management system (CMS): Admin authorization
- CMS: Admin management
- And, CMS: User management
- CMS: Reported user management
Maintain a Social Media App
Simultaneously with the development of new features for your social media platform you should remember about the need to maintain and support the existing product. It doesn’t matter whether you are going to release new great features or redesign your app completely, your current version in production should be stable.
Support and maintenance of social network apps are in no way different from the support and maintenance of other applications. They can be done as a continuous process or as an on-demand service. All depends on the frequency and amount of tasks.
In general, support and maintenance at MLSDev presupposes:
- Working on additional features upon request
- More quality assurance
- App stability control
- Control of server performance
- Scaling apps
- Product update (technologies, OS, servers, security)
It is not enough just to create a social media app, all listed activities should be part of the ongoing work on your product.
Social Media App Development Step By Step by dedicated developers from ArrowHiTech
Step 1. Creating a strategy for your social media app
First of all, we should sit together, analyze the requirements, draw up a portrait of the target audience and establish the key performance indicators that are to be achieved. All this helps to find a unique niche while developing a social media app.
Step 2. Design the social network App’s workflow
In this step you will work with our dedicated designers. The design itself consists of several steps:
- Sketching: Very quick basic outlines of future application helps assess the future logic of the project, the number of screens and the interaction between them.
- Wireframing: It is one of the most important steps of a design process. As it helps the development team to visualize the skeletal structure of social media application.
- Prototyping: It provides both for the customer and for developers the better understanding of the product.
- Design App Skins: At this stage, converting wireframes in the social app design to provide the best of possible solutions.
Step 3. Development & Quality Assurance for iOS and Android
Development and design process usually run together in the life cycle of a social media app on mobile. When the prototyping of the social media app is done, developers build its back-end by setting up servers, databases, APIs and working out perfect storage solutions.
Step 4. Publishing & Marketing the App
Our professional team also ensures the process of publishing, creates all promotional materials including screens, video guides and the effective description of the application. All this helps social apps for business to stand out at the Apple Store and Google Play Market.
When you come up with an idea for a mobile app or a web project, remember that the development costs are only a part of the project cost. You should also take into account basic marketing needs and costs. What way to choose in promoting your own app is up to you, but don’t just start thinking about it AFTER your app is in the app store.
Step 5. Maintenance & Support
After the project is released to the application markets, we ensure our clients with all types of support and updates implementation.
So, if you have any questions and supports, don’t hesitate to contact us via:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone number: +84 243 7955 813.