Xcode and Swift are 2 products of Apple. Both of them are suitable for macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and tvOS. However, there are still some differences between Xcode and Swift. In case, you have already cleared about the term of theme. So don’t be afraid. Because in this article, we- ArrowHiTech team will go through both Xcode and Swift and also what are the key difference between Xcode and Swift. So now let’s explore.
Overview about Xcode and Swift
Xcode and Swift are developed by Apple. They are 2 two products of Apple for watchOS, macOS, iPadOS, iOS and tvOS. Xcode is a macOS integrated development environment (IDE) that includes a set of software development tools for creating apps for macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and tvOS. Besides that, Swift is a multi-paradigm, general-purpose compiled programming language that creating for iOS, macOS, watchOS, tvOS, Linux, and z/OS. As a result, they can’t be compared. Swift v 5.1 is the default version of Swift that include in Xcode v 11. So it is compatible with Xcode.
Before exploring the difference between xcode and swift in detail, we should understand what Xcode and Swift are. Now, we will mention the first one – Xcode.
What is Xcode?
Xcode was released the first time in 2003. Not only that, it is free for macOS Mojave users. Previous versions are available for registered developers to download from the Apple website. The Apple Developer website allows registered developers to download the preview releases and versions of the suite.
Major features of Xcode.
- Support: Supporting Programming languages such as C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python, Ruby, ResEdit (Rez), and Swift
- Capability: Xcode can generate fat binary files containing code for various architectures in Mach-O executable format. These are universal binary files, and they enable the application to run on both PowerPC and Intel-based (x86) platforms, including 32-bit and 64-bit code.
- GUI tool: Xcode includes GUI tool, Instruments, which runs a dynamic tracing framework on top of DTrace.
Advantages and disadvantages of Xcode
|– Having a well-designed and simple-to-use UI designer|
– Great for completing code
– A developer can learn to analyze in a natural way by using Xcode.
– The Xcode simulator allows you to test your app when it is being developed in an environment. It resembles your iPhone.
– The app market attracts a large audience willing to pay for apps.
|– If you’re used to using the modern language, the clunky and outmoded Objective C makes it even more unpleasant.|
– Working with numerous windows is challenging due to the lack of support for tabbed work environments.
– Due to a previous Apple NDA on Xcode development, there is very little material available online to help solve difficulties.
– Exporting your program to a device is a complicate process.
– Only works with operating systems of Apple.
– The App Store approval process can be lengthy
What is Swift?
When it comes to the difference between xcode and swift, the second one you must know is Swift. Swift is the most common programming language. This powerful programming language was created in 2014 for the iOS platforms iOS, macOS, iPadOS, watchOS, Linux, tvOS, and z/OS. Furthermore, this Swift for iOS app development includes the open-source LLVM compiler framework. It makes use of the Objective-C runtime library. As a result, C, Objective-C, C++, and Swift code can run on the platform.
Automatic Reference Counting also used to make the memory management process easier. The framework stack, which was originally based on the Cocoa and Foundation frameworks, has undergone various changes. And now it is fully regulated and renovated.
Swift is quite familiar to Objective-C for developers who have worked with it. This Swift for iOS app development has a lot of control thanks to Objective-dynamic C’s object model and its well-named parameters.
Swift allows developers to access to the existing Cocoa framework as well as mix-and-match interoperability with Objective C code. It also makes use of this common rule to provide a number of additional features to the object-oriented and procedural parts of the language.
Swift has a number of features to help developers write and read code easier. Furthermore, Developers can avoid coding errors and making code appear more organized, as well as the modules that provide namespaces and eliminate headers.
Major features of Swift.
The following are some of Swift’s features.
- Safety: Swift is built with guards against many programming mistakes. Not only that, it eliminated classes of unsafe code.
- High Speed: the speed of Swift is faster than Objective-C thanks to the combination of two files into a single code file
- Less coding required: this program language requires less coding because of the absence of Swift code legacy conventions such as semicolons and brackets
- Open source: it is free to use Swift
- Interactive coding: Swift Playground enables developers to test new algorithms in real time.
Advantages and disadvantages of Swift
|– Read and maintain easily: Because Swift codes are similar with natural English and borrow syntaxes from other programming languages|
– Scalable: Because users can add new functionality to it.
– Concise: Swift doesn’t have long lines of code. So it provides a simple syntax to developers. Therefore, it increases the program’s development and testing rate.
– Improved performance and safety: It is over 40% better than Objective-C because errors are easily handled, resulting in safer programming.
– Cross-device compatibility: This language can work with a variety of Apple platforms, including iOS, iOS X, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.
– Automatic Memory Management: Using Automatic Reference Counting, it will eliminate memory leaks and support application speed optimization.
|– Compatibility problems: The newest versions of Swift have been shown to be a little unstable with Apple’s newer versions, causing a few problems. So you have to upgrade to a newer version of Swift. However this is expensive.|
– Speed Problems: This relates to earlier versions of the Swift programming language.
– Limited Swift developers: Because Swift is a new programming language, the number of Swift developers is restricted.
– App upload delays: Apps created in Swift will only be submitted to the App Store only when iOS 8 and Xcode 6 are available. It causes delays for developers. According to reports, the release date is set for September-October 2014.
What are the key Difference Between Xcode and Swift?
Following table will show you the difference between xcode and swift:
|Is a comprehensive and powerful IDE for creating Mac and iOS applications||Is a programming language for building Mac and iOS applications development|
|It is not a programming language||It is programming language providing functions, tuples, dictionaries, structures, classes, properties and many more|
|Xcode contains all of the tools required to create iOS and Mac applications. For example: Version Control||Is a programming language that doesn’t have any tools for development|
To sum up with the difference between xcode and swift
All above are all ArrowHiTech want to mention to you about Xcode and Swift and the key difference between Xcode and Swift. In case you have any questions about this blog, so don’t forget to let us know at CONTACT FORM
Furthermore, with the best and potential developers, ArrowHiTech team is confident to help you in iOS app development. Therefore, let’s visit ArrowHiTech website to gain more knowledge.